mardi 17 novembre 2015

Cancer: the scandal of endocrine disrupters in cosmetics


Read cosmetic labels, the only way to change the industry
Read cosmetic labels, the only way to change the industry
It's nearly the World Cancer Day (4 February according to my information) ...
So I wanted to tell you about a somewhat delicate subject: endocrine disrupting chemicals in our cosmetics.
I also wanted to introduce my friend Pascale who has just come out of a breast cancer.
With it, I asked myself some important questions about the composition of cosmetic used by many women, sick or not ...
I have long hesitated to write this article because it throws a spanner in the ... Come on, splash, let's go!

Endocrine Disruptors, Kézako?

I will try to simplify ... The term "endocrine disruptors" means a large number of substances, natural and synthetic so that "mimic" the action of hormones in our bodies when we consume them. Our organization is subject to their action because they are everywhere: in food, in the environment, and of course also in our cosmetics. An example to understand: a molecule of sclareol is present in the essential oil of clary sage,. When assimilated by the body, it is perceived by our hormone receptors as would an estrogen, a female hormone. This is why the essential oil of clary sage, and indeed all plant extracts of clary sage, are often recommended in cases of pre-menopausal disorders. And not recommended if hormone-dependent disease.
The toxicity of endocrine disruptors is still quite unclear. Admittedly, this is an area so vast that it is difficult to establish precisely the terms of shares of its substances, their assimilation, etc. By cons, it seems that it is the dose to which it is exposed, over time, which can be problematic.
What is certain is that an overwhelming majority of conventional cosmetics contain substances suspected of being endocrine disruptors. The recent study of the UFC Que Choisir speaks for itself. Triclosan is found in a famous toothpaste. Found propylparaben in deos, shower gels, foundations.
It's crazy, but it's like that. What for ? Because the cosmetics industry really changes his tune when the products are not sold, or that there is a real scandal ... And here, the scandal of EDCs is quite discreet: its effects are not immediately demonstrable, and nobody mug cancer right after a shower or applying varnish nails full of dibutyl phthalate (I laugh, I laugh but yellow ... ;-))

Which endocrine disrupters in cosmetics?

Read and reread the INCI composition, this should be a reflex!
Read and reread the INCI composition, this should be a reflex!
The list is very long ... And the purpose of my article is not to give you this list because it does not exist really.
There are families of cosmetic ingredients that are fail endocrine disruptors are present and when consumed in high doses, and there are those on which the doubt remains ... Anyway, when in doubt, we tend to abstain.
This is what promotes the movement Slow Cosmetics.
This is particularly why the Slow Cosmetics Association fight for a cosmetic substance without controversy for the environment and for health.
I invite you to read the article Oolution here that stands a very well done and documented list. See also the broader list cancer-environnement.fr.
I will only cite the most common awful that you should avoid in the INCI lists of your products in brief:
- Parabens, including methyl-ethyl-propyl and butyl paraben. 
- Phenoxyethanol 
- triclosan and BHA, preservatives 
- synthetic UV filter benzophenone, oxybenzone and others ... 
- phthalates, especially diethyl phthalate and and Names compounds with phtalic acid. Note that I recently told you of phthalates in synthetic fragrances. The name "perfume" or "fragrance" in a list INCI means a synthetic perfume.
I do not put them voluntarily natural molecules in the list, even though it is well known that sesquiterpene alcohols (sclareol patchoulol, etc.) contained in some essential oils have an estrogen-like effect (HE cedar, cypress, clary sage, patchouli, niaouli). I often repeat to handle essential oils with caution, but I do not want to distort the subject of my article: to denounce the presence of synthetic endocrine disruptors in mass cosmetics and luxury, the so consumes eyes closed !

Pascale, her beauty kit and cancer

Talk about it, eyes closed! Women suffering from breast cancer are more and more numerous. Certainly, much more than before so it tracks the statistics go up. But still, it disturbs me to see me spend all my friends. Whose fault is it ? to what ? I am not an oncologist so I will not answer this question, and I understand that there are a multitude of factors Crusaders. But I sincerely believe that cosmetics, some at least, play at least a small black part in the history ...
Pascale and products offered for his post cancer Beauty
Pascale and products offered for his post cancer Beauty
Pascale is a friend. She is a stylist and a lovely husband and two children. I love her laugh and she loves mine, so we get along well as in recent years. Last year, she was hit by breast cancer and underwent chemo and radio. I you pass the details ... It is in remission, there.That's great.
Recently, she asked to see me because she had just lived a strange experience as a patient ...
Women with breast cancer are now framed perfectly by the medical teams, but also by associations whose psychological support and / or aesthetics. These associations do a great job. This is indisputable. Volunteers bring together patients, and invite them to be pampered, to be beautiful despite the disease.
To be beautiful, one must cosmetics. And then, well Pascale and I it was asked ...

Cosmetics which in cancer?

Brands like Estee Lauder set the tone there many years with the pink ribbon campaign (pink ribbon) among others. These brands have invested millions in research against cancer. Everybody applauded and it is indeed very good. What surprises me, and that surprised Pascale is that many of these brands have not necessarily excluded from their formulas on which substances doubt hovers endocrine level. Mad, right?
My friend Pascale was received by the association Beautiful and Well  in the North. The association is active throughout France.A great combination of professionals and volunteers which offers cosmetic workshops including patients. At a workshop, Pascale was spoiled and received a major package of cosmetics. Among the brands represented in this gift package, just beautiful people: Clarins, Avene, Vichy, Eucerin, Atrix, Yves Saint Laurent and Sysley . "Very good product" said the hostess who was professional, friendly and motivating told Pascale. The Beautiful and Well association is chaired by the President of FEBEA (the Federation of Enterprises of Beauty). I imagine this may partly explain the fine products offered. When Pascale opened the package, she was amazed because it was very generous. But she obviously remembered my book "Eat the Slow Cosmetics" which invites us to read the labels. There she asked to see me ...
The only tape that is not interested in the products it crown
The only tape that is not interested in the products it crown
Yes, cosmetics Pascale had received nearly all contained at least one controversial stuff!
The refreshing cream Clarins contained phenoxyethanol for example. The lotion Vichy Thermal pure synthetic fragrance and EDTA (not an endocrine disruptor but an ingredient and irritating pollutant considered by many). The button shine Yves Saint Laurent phenoxyethanol ... I stop here because the goal is not to target one or the other brand. What I target here is the issue of SENSE !!
What is the meaning of these formulas?  And what is the meaning to recommend these products to these women? How is it that in 2015 found in a package, offered to women emerging from hormone-related cancer, cosmetics that contain ingredients sometimes inert and disappointing, sometimes potentially toxic in the long term?
I see no sense. I am sad, distressed, disappointed, even if I am in a better position to know better than anyone that all this exists.Sad but not depressed. My heart beats strong for the Slow Cosmetics invites us to use the best materials, more natural, even losing a little in comfort and dream ...
Because therein lies the problem: we daydream Conventional cosmetics are not who they claim to be, yet almost everyone does not care a bit. Certainly, we are hundreds of thousands to know and to choose the proper cosmetic, natural, organic or transparent, call it what you want. But it is still not enough to allow major brands to realize that this is enough! Not enough for either of workshops that within beauty and wellness for sick women do we get the message, even if you are already a great job I repeat.
This is when we stop being pigeons?  ;-)
This is when we stop being pigeons? ;-)

Interview slow

So here, this article concludes with a short interview Pascale, because I wanted to share with you his feelings to her face all this. They ask questions, good, undisturbed. And when in doubt, it is preferable to go for a ride in the cosmetics departments of slow to do good in the bathroom😉
JK: What was your use of the cosmetic in general before your breast cancer?
PM: I maquillais little, so little that I used had to be "good products". I Orientais on products sold Nuxe style pharmacy. For lipstick I bought YSL or Chanel style expensive brands. For the face, I recently put the carrot oil sold in organic store.
JK: What are your feelings face to products that have been offered to you during the workshops cosmetic Beautiful and Well offered to patients?
PM: At the meeting we were all very pleasantly surprised of all these products available! Besides accompanying the beautician pointed out to us that all products were very good. 
It was after the 2:00 session, with products on the skin that I had doubts. This workshop was a real pleasure for all the girls but I can not endorse these products that include petrochemical materials, plastics, endocrine disruptors ... I gave them to other people I did all the recommendations compositions. Even with serious diseases, I feel that it is the foremost business comes first!But thank the volunteers and the beautician. I do not think they know ...
JK: Did Illness and treatment changed something in your report to cosmetics?
PM: Everything has changed for me, as for the people close. There was a long period where I did not put any product. Recently, I 'buys certified organic products for skin, lipstick, toothpaste, shampoo ... ..to my 14 year old daughter who is beginning to wear makeup I offered to Christmas mascara, cream BB and a makeup remover slow. We are interested in products bearing the Slow Cosmetics Mention. JK: Have you expressed this feeling around you? To healthcare workers or leading workshops? Was it easy?
PM: At the meeting, no I did not dare. Today, I express this feeling around me, to close friends but also girls who also like me in the disease (it is regularly). I do this easily. But I have not had the opportunity to review the beautician. Maybe it will be more difficult but I will get the message. Besides, I've already done a pharmacy and at Body Shop! 
Girls who are ill are generally poor compared with the cosmetic despite the information that I pass. Well, I hope I was not too long. And I hope that my testimony will help all women.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire